Wednesday, September 28, 2011

"Dirty Jobs"

This is the first time I've watched an episode of Dirty Jobs. In this episode, we witness Mike Rowe as a crawfish picker. As I watched throughout this part, it reminds me of another show, How Its Made. Through the process, it surprised me of how many people are working on the job rather than having machines to it for them. The crawfishs are hand-picked, boiled and cleaned. I thought he was an amazing host for the show, because he tries his best to make it entertaining. Especially when he was making jokes in between interviews; before the crayfish were cooked, seemed like a funeral. The crayfish tails are kept for packaging, while the rest of it gets processed to become fertilizer which I thought was interesting. The only two machines used for this job was to clean them, boil them and vaccum-pack them. All the other jobs are done by hand. There was lots of B-Roll footage of Mike Rowe on the job used to keep the viewer's attention, rather than just having a long interview of how the job is done. I believe that this show is not scripted, because he interviews his interviewee on the spot while the scene is being shot which I think is very effective.



For more information: http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dirty-jobs-crawfish-catcher.html

1 comment:

  1. First set of entries are generally good though there are a lot of grammatical errors. Reread your blogs carefully. Good references to other sources. Be more critical.
    3/3.75

    ReplyDelete