Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Exit Through The Gift Shop"

Graffiti is a type of art that is enjoyed by many around the world, though most graffiti are known to be illegal due to the "spray" on private property. The filmmaker of this documentary, Thierry Guetta, kind of reminds me of us students. At some point in our life, something has inspired us to choose the career path we follow today. Take me for example, I'm currently in this Broadcasting and Film program at Centennial. What inspired me was the roles I've played in my school, including extra-curricular activities and school-work. Photographer, Designer, Tech Crew leader, etc. Guetta wanted to become a filmmaker when he picked up he camcorder and started to shoot everything he sees, which in this case was his family and graffiti artists. Seeing how he had thousands of video tape footage in boxes relates to an assignment we had to do for class. Shooting our footage on film for the first time and learning the meaning of archiving. Digital copies such as DVDs and hard drives could corrupt or crash. Guetta then later successfully found Banksy for his documentary. Banksy is a well-known graffiti artist all around the world.


Being inspired by the art, risks and culture within graffiti, Guetta decides to become a graffiti artist. He was dedicated to get his name known around the city by putting this signature on buildings...


All he needed was an alias, which is very similar to a nickname that people know you by. I remember one of my friends in elementary school called me Baby K. Although it is rarely used now, it was great to be known and to "stand out" in the crowd. Guetta was known as, Mr. Brainwash. His exhibition of his art made more profit than he did when he was a filmmaker. It was interesting and rare to see someone who was filmmaker turned out to become a graffiti artist. This relates to another assignment in elementary school when the teacher asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" At the time, I remember I love to sing, it was one of my strongest passions and still is. I wanted to become a singer. Growing up, I learned all the difficulties to become one. There was not a lot of job opportunities to pursue this. Looking back now, I'm glad I made right path and decision. I now want to be part of the television production team.

For more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587707/

No comments:

Post a Comment