Sunday, November 6, 2011

"Koyaanisquatsi"

This documentary has no story/plot behind it. It was basically a lot of footage and images of nature put together. The mountain-like landscape made me feel that there were obstacles to face. You must start from the bottom before reaching to the top.



Time is passing us by. The use of shadows, darkness and time lapse made the shots very effective. In my opinion, it felt like it was something you can watch to make you go to sleep. The shot comparing water and clouds was very interesting, made me feel I was in a very comfortable environment (even floating in mid-air). There were no living creature.

We go back to people's everyday life, where during rush hour, everyone has a destination to go to. Seems like I was on Bay street of downtown Toronto, wearing a suit, waiting for a TTC streetcar to go to a business meeting. When I saw a shot of the sun rise, I felt it was a start of a brand new day with tasks that needed to be finished.


At this point, when I saw this part of the footage, I felt that I was part of the bystander watching this or even an amateur videotaping this footage. The space shuttle was launched and before leaving Earth, it explodes. I knew at that point that no one could've survived and I couldn't do anything about it but to have continued to watch and have the "Oh my God" feeling.



For more information: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/

No comments:

Post a Comment